Milestone Infrastructure

Net-Zero Carbon

Milestone Infrastructure has set an ambitious yet deliverable target of being Net-Zero carbon throughout it’s operations, including supply chain, by 2040. In addition, we are committing to achieving a 40% reduction in carbon emissions (measured by intensity) by 2025 and a 60% reduction by 2030, from our baseline year of 2019.

In 2019 around 11% of our emissions came directly from our operations, known as Scope 1 and 2 emissions, such as the fuel in our fleet and energy consumed in the offices and depots that we operate from. The remaining 89% of our emissions, and therefore our greatest impact on climate change, came from the materials we buy and the supply chain we rely on to deliver our activities. This shows us that to make a real impact we need to focus on how we work with our supply chain and key materials manufacturers to drive down our carbon emissions.

We aim to transition the Milestone Infrastructure fleet away from traditional fossil fuels entirely by 2023 and our supply chain by 2025, through the use of electric vehicles and plant (<3.5t) as well as the wholesale use of Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) diesel. HVO is produced from waste sources and reduces carbon emissions from vehicles and plant by around 90% compared to conventional diesel. We see this as a key interim solution where no suitable electric or hydrogen alternative is available. In addition we are reducing the average CO2 emissions of our company car fleet and installing electric vehicle changepoints across our offices and depots to support our employees switching away from petrol and diesel engines.

As part of our PAS2080-aligned approach to reducing the carbon emissions of our material use we design out carbon from our activities, using the carbon mitigation hierarchy approach of build nothing, build less and build clever.

Working collaboratively with our clients, design teams and our supply chain we are increasing the use of low carbon and recycled materials and reducing the amount of high carbon intensity materials such as virgin steel that we use within our projects. We will work to ensure lower carbon materials, such as warm asphalt, are the default material as well as look at carbon across the wholelife of the asset.

In line with Procurement Policy Note 06/21 – Taking Account of Carbon Reduction Plans in the procurement of major government contracts please see our Milestone Carbon Reduction Plan here.

Latest News

Find out more about what we've been up to:

Milestone Infrastructure helps lower carbon emissions on Oxford North project

Milestone Infrastructure helps lower carbon emissions on Oxford North project

Milestone Infrastructure, a part of M Group Services, is working with Oxfordshire County Council to... Read more
Milestone Infrastructure trialling innovative cement-free concrete for Greater Cambridge Partnership

Milestone Infrastructure trialling innovative cement-free concrete for Greater Cambridge Partnership

Milestone Infrastructure, has successfully trialled a cement-free concrete on Histon Road, Cambridge. As cement is... Read more